Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Shea Terra Organics Samples Review

Shea Terra Organics is a primarily online-based organic skincare line. Its popularity grew recently when the company started sending out samples through retail discovery subscription companies like Beauty Army and Glossybox. Some of Shea Terra's most popular products (the rose hip black soap, scented body butters, and the moroccan oil) have 4.5-5 star ratings on Amazon.com.

With such a track record, I couldn't resist getting my hands on some products. I reached out to Shea Terra's customer service asking if they are able to send out samples. They agreed to send me 5 samples for $15 flat.

The samples are:
1. Rose hips black soap deep pore facial cleanser: 1oz
2. Shea Terra pink guavas & pomegranates whipped shea butter: 1oz
3. Premium dark chocolate sugar-stone exfoliating cream: 1oz
4. Moroccan argan oil: sample tube
5. argan rosemary facial cleansing oil: sample tube


Here are my thoughts:

1. black soap: I use this soap once a day because I have very oily skin. Most people commented that they use it less because it is a very strong soap. It cleans well and my skin squeaks when I wash it off. As the soap is black, it does stain my washcloth, but the stain comes off easily when washed. The instruction says to leave the soap on face for 2 minutes (like a mask) for deep cleansing. When I first started using the soap, I found the burnt rubber smell to be so strong that I cannot stand having the product on my face for 2 minutes. But now, a month later, I've gotten so used to the smell that I do not notice it anymore. After a month of use, the appearance of my skin glows! I use to always have the occasional pimple on my face. Now...none! I remember staring in the mirror trying to find blemishes when I first realized what t his product has done for me. What the product did not do for me though, is getting rid of blackhead on my nose. Some people on Amazon said that the product got rid of their blackheads and shrank their pores. I was kind of disappointed that I didn't get the same result. After 1 month of daily use, I'm scraping the bottom of my 1oz sample. Definitely planning on repurchase soon.

2. body butter: This is very moisturizing and soaks into my skin well. Online reviews rave about the scents, but I did not particularly like the one I got. The bottle's been sitting on my nightstand without much use.

3. premium dark chocolate scrub: I used this scrub once and found that I do not like the dark chocolate scent. I'm sure the scrub works well given the company's track record, but I will not be using mine. Some online reviews I read complained that the scrub dissolves too quickly when it comes into contact with water.

4. moroccan oil: I was skeptical of using the oil on my face, since my skin is oily and I have been taught to use only oil free products. But as I'm currently nursing a severely chapped and sunburnt lip (last remnant of summer), I tried the oil on my lips and around my mouth. It is more moisturizing than any chap stick I've tried, and has yet to give me any breakouts. I'm happy with the product so will consider purchasing more when the sample runs out. Shea Terra's website does mention that the company works with a local women's group to make the oil my hand, instead of using big factories, so bonus points for that.

5. rosemary and argan cleansing oil: Again, with oily skin, I'm not going to use this oil to cleanse my skin. I tried this oil once and found that I did not like the smell of rosemary, which is very strong in this oil. This oil, however, will make a good makeup remover, which is how I will be using this product. (In case you didn't know, extra virgin olive oil is one of the best makeup removers out there, for waterproof and regular makeup, and it will not clog pores.)

If you are interested in getting samples for Shea Terra products, please contact their customer service through their website, www.sheaterraorganics.com. Full size products may be purchased through their website and through amazon.com. I prefer amazon.com as shipping is free for orders over $25. It is noteworthy to mention that Shea Terra offers a 30% discount every month for 2-3 weeks. The code changes monthly and can usually be found through a google search. The discount would cover the shipping cost in most cases.

'til next time, GD.

FTC disclaimer: I purchased the samples with my own money. This blog is not sponsored. All opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment